Gabriola Community Hall Mural
The Gabriola Community Hall Association is looking for a local artist to paint a mural on the South Wall. Here are the details:
• the mural should depict and celebrate some aspect of Gabriola’s history.
• the wall is 19 feet wide by 12 feet high — a 16 feet x 10 feet mural is likely the largest possible configuration but we are open to creative ideas. The wall is channel siding. It’s an option to paint on something like 8 foot x 4 foot sheets of crezon plywood, which can then be mounted. The configuration is up to the artist’s imagination as long as the finished work fits within the allotted space. Think 3-D! Maybe you want to include text?
• we encourage references to First Nations presence. Any use of petroglyph images must have approval from a Snuneymuxw First Nations representative.
• the Gabriola Museum is an excellent resource for archival materials. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access.
• the chosen artist will receive a $5,000 honorarium.
• the artist provides materials and manages installation. The Community Hall Board will assist where possible.
• collaborative projects are welcome.
Submissions will be evaluated based on originality, creativity, and reflection of Gabriola history and culture. Entries must be received by noon on January 15, 2017. Please include colour drawings and sketches. Hard copy submissions can be delivered to the GAC office at 476 South Road, along with a digital copy (PDF) to be sent to Joyce Babula at email@example.com. Any questions should be sent to Joyce at the same email address.
The final decision will be made by members of the Community Hall Board, representatives from the Gabriola Arts Council, Gabriola Museum, and a member from Snuneymeuxw First Nations.
Final decision will be announced by January 31, 2017.
Completion of installation date: May 2017.
This mural project is funded by The Nanaimo Foundation through the Canada 150 Program.