Applications will be accepted through midnight Pacific Time, Thursday, October 13, 2016. The residency will be March 26 to April 23, 2017.
2016 Artist in Residence — Justin Kautz
Justin Kautz completed a 4-week residency as our Artist in Residence, mid-March to mid-April 2016. You can read more about Justin’s experience as Artist in Residence on the Haven Shen blog.
Artist in Residence Program at The Haven
The Artist in Residence program recognizes the important role of creativity in health and well-being. Throughout its history, The Haven has offered programs that nurture and cultivate creativity. The Haven has also been a place where artists have found inspiration and a welcoming to practice their craft. The program offers an opportunity for artists of all disciplines to apply for residency at The Haven, either individually or with one collaborator.
The residency program provides accommodation for a four-week period in the beautiful setting of Gabriola Island. This coincides with the Gabriola Arts Council’s Isle of the Arts Festival, which embodies the mission to activate, enhance and inspire our community’s cultural vitality through collaboration, leadership and service. The annual Isle of the Arts Festival features over 50 workshops for community participation, and includes readings and writing workshops from award-winning authors, hands-on workshops by professional artists and artisans, movie screenings, a night market, live music, parties and much more.
To be eligible for consideration, artists must be aged 30 years or younger in the year of application. Applications will be considered from emerging artists in any discipline anywhere in the world (travel costs are not included in the residency).
Michelle Benjamin, Executive Director of the Gabriola Arts Council writes: “Artists accepted into The Haven’s program will find a warm, knowledgeable and enthusiastic reception from Gabriola artists. And discovering an island community’s passion and love for the arts? That’s nothing short of inspirational. The Gabriola Arts Council is convinced that the dialogue that starts between the artist and the island during this residency will be one that lasts a lifetime”.
The residency includes:
- Accommodation during the 4-week residency.
- Wireless internet access.
- Dinner daily in The Haven’s oceanfront dining room. Breakfast and lunch are also available at our staff rates (50% off the regular price).
- Easy access to the many beautiful places Gabriola has to offer.
- A great opportunity to work with and learn from local artists, as well as sufficient solitary time to develop personal art work.
- Participation in the Isle of the Arts Festival.
The Haven is dedicated to helping people build richer relationships with others and themselves. With a centre on Gabriola Island, BC Canada our not-for-profit educational organization offers transformational learning experiences in group settings. We believe in creating a relational world where each of us is whole and responsible for ourselves and our environment. For over 30 years, The Haven has developed innovative approaches to teaching and learning, challenging thousands to define and shape their lives.
The Gabriola Arts Council is an established and respected organization in our community. We value and encourage community engagement, while fostering connections between and within community organizations. We host three annual art events—Isle of the Arts Festival, Gabriola Theatre Festival, and Thanksgiving Tour and Festival—while managing our year-round Healing Power of Arts program. We run arts-related programs in our elementary school, and collaborate regularly with local non-profits and community groups. We have collaborated in or contributed to the creation of other arts-related events throughout the years such as the Gabriola Poetry Festival, musical performances and concerts, workshops and other educational forums. The Council provides funding and fundraising opportunities for the Gabriola Elementary School’s art and music programs, and to individual artists and arts events on the island.
The Haven is on beautiful Gabriola Island, one of the southern Gulf Islands of British Columbia. People come to The Haven from all over Canada and the USA, as well as from Europe and Asia. See getting here.
- Artist must be aged 30 years or younger in the year of application.
- Applicant should be a practicing artist seeking time to reflect upon and develop their work.
- Applicant must be focused and self-directed.
- Applications will be considered from emerging artists in any discipline, living anywhere in the world.
- The successful applicant must come during the specified time.
- The successful applicant must pay their travel expenses to and from The Haven.
- The artist in residence will donate to The Haven, one piece of work created during their residency and completed by December 31st of the year of residency.
- During their stay at The Haven, the artist in residence will provide one ‘open studio’ session for local artists and students, and a workshop during the Isle of the Arts Festival.
The selection procedure
The application period typically opens in mid-September each year with a closing date of mid-October. The successful applicant is selected by a jury based on artistic merit and the relevance of the materials contained in the application package. The successful applicant(s) will be notified by mid-November, and a public announcement will follow. The residency typically begins the following March.
The application package
Artists are asked to provide the following documents as part of the on-line application.
- Completed on-line application.
- Current resumé.
- Two letters of reference.
- Your artist’s statement (maximum 250 words).
- Your proposal letter, stating your intended course of exploration during your residency (maximum 250 words). Support materials in the form that best describes your creative practice. For example, a brief audio or video presentation (YouTube or Vimeo, maximum 5 minutes), or a link to ten high resolution images (1 to 5 MB each) of your best work in PNG or JPG format.