A creative, engaged, and inclusive community sustaining Gabriola’s vibrant island culture.
To engage, enhance, and inspire the community’s cultural vitality through collaboration, leadership, and service.
Collaboration: Work with local arts and community organizations, and public and private partners, to deliver high-quality and essential arts programming on Gabriola.
Leadership: Lead in action and by example through adherence to our stated values.
Service: Serve artists and community members through creating conditions in which artistic inspiration, innovation, and participation flourish.
A vibrant arts and cultural community contributing to the development of a healthy and engaged society.
An inclusive culture reflecting the island and region’s cultural and demographic diversity.
Encouragement of artistic activity from established to emerging, and from traditional to experimental.
Collaboration that enriches other island organizations, and the community as a whole.
Engagement with Indigenous artists and organizations guided by principles of cultural vitality and self-determination.
AMPLIFY the Role of the Arts on Gabriola Island through Vibrant Artistic and Community Engagement Programs
- Present diverse and accessible artistic programming and events.
- Develop the Gabriola Arts & Heritage Centre as a vibrant hub of activity and resources.
- Make a meaningful contribution to culture-led community economic development.
- Work in collaboration with community partners and arts organizations in delivering high-quality and compelling programs and events.
- Develop and nurture new audiences for the arts on Gabriola.
SUPPORT Artists and Other Community Members through Meaningful Resources and Services
- Maintain effective and well-used communications systems.
- Advocate for artists at all levels of government.
- Sustain and grow the Gabriola Artists Support Program (GASP!) to provide funding to emerging and professional artists in the community.
- Provide support for artists in a variety of forms.
- Be ambassadors for Gabriola’s creative community locally, regionally, provincially, and beyond.
- Offer programs and services that contribute to community and individual health and wellbeing.
ENGAGE with Indigenous Artists and Communities
- Support the resurgence of Indigenous culture and the work of Indigenous artists.
- Nurture new relationships and opportunities for engagement with Indigenous artists and communities.
- Encourage and promote arts and cultural experiences that deepen relationships and understanding between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples.
- Collaborate with Indigenous and other organizations working towards the goals of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
SUSTAIN the Financial Viability and Assure the Long-term Success of the Arts Council
- Develop diversified and growing revenue streams, including a stable and supported team of donors, strong and open relationships with funders, and sustainable earned revenue sources.
- Build awareness, visibility, and profile for the Arts Council, our events, and our programs through high-quality and effective communication tools.
- Build and support a robust volunteer program.
- Increase membership through providing meaningful benefits and value.
EVENTS & PROGRAMS
Isle of the Arts Festival | Every April
Ten days of arts-based workshops, programs, and events. The Island buzzes with creativity.
Cultivate Theatre + Music + Art Festival | Every August
A fantastic Theatre + Music + Arts Festival at the Gabriola Commons. Fresh shows, tasty music, sweet venue.
Artist’s Studio Tour | Every Thanksgiving
An art enthusiast’s dream—more than 80 artists open their doors and share their creations. A tradition on Gabriola for 20+ years.
Healing Power of Art
A range of programs that explore how engagement with artistic processes contributes to health and wellbeing.
Gabriola Arts & Heritage Centre (GAHC)
One of the Island’s first schoolhouses is now its coolest cultural space. Visit us online for booking and event info.
Gabriola Artists Support Program (GASP!)
Financial support for artists at all levels and in all disciplines.