Working for the Arts
Vision of the Gabriola Arts Council
A creative, engaged, and inclusive community sustaining Gabriola’s vibrant island culture.
Gabriola Arts Council’s mission is to engage, enhance, and inspire the community’s cultural vitality through collaboration, leadership, and service.
- Promote community awareness of and participation in the arts.
- Support learning at all levels and provide opportunities for artists and arts organizations to receive mentorship.
- Encourage and promote arts and cultural experiences that deepen the relationship between Indigenous and settler peoples.
- Support the resurgence of Indigenous culture and the work of Indigenous artists.
- Work locally and off-island to increase public and private support for the arts.
- Be a reliable resource for information on arts and culture.
- Work in collaboration with community partners and arts organizations in delivering high-quality and diverse artistic programming.
- Facilitate culture-led economic and community development.
- Offer arts and cultural programming that supports and promotes health and wellbeing.
- Celebrate the Isle of the Arts.
- Artistic excellence in all art forms and practices.
- A vibrant arts and cultural community contributing to the creation of a healthy society.
- Inclusiveness and the fullest possible reflection of the community’s cultural and demographic diversity.
- Encouragement of artistic and artisanal activity from established to emerging and from traditional to experimental.
- Administrative processes which adhere to the principles of accountability, inclusiveness, and accessibility.
- Clear, fair, and transparent processes in the service of our mandate, developed in consultation with the arts and cultural community.
- Collaboration and partnering that enriches other island organizations and groups, and the community as a whole.
The 2013-2018 GAC Strategic Plan is titled “Working for the Arts” to highlight:
- The role GAC performs in the community: working to support Gabriola artists in all art forms and at all levels; and ensuring local residents and visitors can engage with the arts and are aware of the Island’s rich cultural resources.
- The organization’s traditional working board structure from which it seeks to transition towards a more strategic governance model over the next five years.
- The fact that Gabriola Island has one of the largest concentrations of artists in the local workforce, ranking sixth across Canada, underscoring the importance GAC plays in supporting local arts-led economic development.
Working for the Arts promotes, supports and develops four pillars:
- Professional development opportunities of established artists;
- Educational and training opportunities for emerging artists;
- Enhancing the economic well-being of artists;
- Enriching the Gabriola community through the arts.
These four pillars are the overall performance measures of the plan.
Working for the Arts: Goals & Strategies
The goals and strategies outlined in this strategic plan represent the steps involved to achieve GAC’s overall aim of strengthening its organizational capacity and directing its activities towards becoming a sustainable operation. In so doing, the organization will play a more central, leadership and coordinating role in the community for arts and culture-led economic development, with increased partnerships and collaboration in cultural events and programming.
Goal 1 | Build Organizational Capacity
Goal 2 | Diversify and Increase Resources
Goal 3 | Improve Communication and Engagement
Goal 4 | Lead Cultural Planning
Goal 5 | Broaden Audience and Artistic Practice