Announcing the 2016 Artists Haven Residency at The Haven on beautiful Gabriola Island, British Columbia, Canada!
Complete an on-line application for the 2016 residency.
Meet the selection panel.
Tips for writing a successful application, by Mary Holdgrafer.
The Haven, in collaboration with the Gabriola Arts Council, began offering an Artist in Residence program in 2012. Since 2013, The Haven’s 30th anniversary year, the residence has been offered to emerging artists aged 30 and under in the year of application.
The Artist in Residence program recognizes the important role of creativity in health and well-being. Throughout its history, The Haven has offered programs that nurture and cultivate creativity. The Haven has also been a place where artists have found inspiration and a welcoming to practice their craft. The program offers an opportunity for artists of all disciplines to apply for residency at The Haven, either individually or with one collaborator.
The Artist’s Haven residency program provides accommodation for a four-week period in the beautiful setting of Gabriola Island. This coincides with the Gabriola Arts Council’s Isle of the Arts Festival, which embodies the mission to activate, enhance and inspire our community’s cultural vitality through collaboration, leadership and service. In 2015, the Isle of the Arts Festival opened over 50 workshops to community participation, and included readings and writing workshops from award-winning authors, hands-on workshops by professional artists and artisans, movie screenings, a night market, live music, parties and so much more.
As the focus of The Haven has always been on the importance of relationship, we will consider offering the residency to two artists and welcome joint applications from two artists who wish to collaborate during the residency. To be eligible for consideration, artists must have been born on or after January 1st, 1985. Applications will be considered from emerging artists in any discipline anywhere in the world (please note that travel costs are not included in the residency).
Michelle Benjamin, Executive Director of the Gabriola Arts Council writes: “Artists accepted into The Haven’s program will find a warm, knowledgeable and enthusiastic reception from Gabriola artists. And discovering an island community’s passion and love for the arts? That’s nothing short of inspirational. The Gabriola Arts Council is convinced that the dialogue that starts between the artist and the island during this residency will be one that lasts a lifetime”.
The residency offers:
- Free of charge accommodation for one or two artists between March 13th and April 10th, 2016.
- On site coin-operated laundry facilities.
- Free wireless internet access.
- Free dinner at 6:00 PM daily in The Haven’s oceanfront dining room. Breakfast and lunch are also available at our staff rates (50% off the regular price).
- Easy access to the many beautiful places Gabriola has to offer.
- A great opportunity to work with and learn from local artists, as well as sufficient solitary time to develop personal art work.
- Participation in the Isle of the Arts Festival.
Dates for residency: March 13th to April 10th, 2016
Location of residency: The Haven, Gabriola Island,
British Columbia, Canada. View on Google Maps.
The Haven is dedicated to helping people build richer relationships with others and themselves. With a centre on Gabriola Island, BC Canada our not-for-profit educational organization offers transformational learning experiences in group settings. We believe in creating a relational world where each of us is whole and responsible for ourselves and our environment. For over 30 years, The Haven has developed innovative approaches to teaching and learning, challenging thousands to define and shape their lives. For over thirty years the Haven has offered programs for personal and professional development and growth. Currently the course schedule includes a variety of programs with a creative focus.
The Gabriola Arts Council is an established and respected organization in our community. We value and encourage community engagement, while fostering connections between and within community organizations. We host three annual art events—Isle of the Arts Festival, Gabriola Theatre Festival, and Thanksgiving Tour and Festival—while managing our year-round Healing Power of Arts program. We run arts-related programs in our elementary school, and collaborate regularly with local non-profits and community groups. We have collaborated in or contributed to the creation of other arts-related events throughout the years such as the Gabriola Poetry Festival, musical performances and concerts, workshops and other educational forums. The Council provides funding and fundraising opportunities for the Gabriola Elementary School’s art and music programs, and to individual artists and arts events on the island.
The Haven is on beautiful Gabriola Island, one of the southern Gulf Islands of British Columbia. People come to The Haven from all over Canada and the USA, as well as from Europe and Asia. Getting to The Haven is easy!
Gabriola Island is
- 20 minutes ferry ride from Nanaimo
- 20 minutes by float plane from Vancouver Airport south terminal
- 20 minutes by float plane from downtown Vancouver or Vancouver Airport
- 1.5 to 2 hours from Vancouver by ferry
- 1.5 hours from Victoria by car
- Applicant(s) must have been born on or after January 1st, 1985.
- Applicant(s) should be a practicing artist seeking time to reflect upon and develop their work.
- If two artists are applying for a joint artist-in-residence program, each artist must submit a separate application.
- Applicant(s) must be focused and self-directed.
- Applications will be considered from emerging artists in any discipline, living anywhere in the world.
- The successful applicant(s) must come during the specified time.
- The successful applicant(s) must pay their travel expenses to and from The Haven.
- The artist(s) in residence will donate to The Haven, one piece of work created during their residency and completed by December 31, 2016.
- During their stay at The Haven, the artist(s) in residence will provide one ‘open studio’ session for local artists and students, and a workshop during the Isle of the Arts Festival.
The selection procedure:
The successful applicant(s) will be selected by a jury based on artistic merit and the relevance of the materials contained in the application package. The successful applicant(s) will be notified by November 15, 2015, and a public announcement will follow.
The application package:
Please submit the following documents as part of your application.
- Completed on-line application (begins on the following page).
- Your resumé.
- Two letters of reference.
- Your artist’s statement (maximum 250 words).
- Your proposal letter, stating your intended course of exploration during your residency (maximum 250 words). Support materials in the form that best describes your creative practice. For example, a brief audio or video presentation (maximum 5 minutes), or a link to ten high resolution (300dpi) images of your best work in JPG forma
Applications must be received prior to midnight Pacific Time, Thursday, October 15, 2015.